Business criminal law
Court cases in various degree of jurisdictions/investigations:
- Assistance in one of the major criminal lawsuits at EU level on market abuse (market manipulation in various forms, insider trading / tipping concerning transactions of over EUR 40 mil). The lawsuit lasted for more than 4 years before the Romanian courts of law and was successfully closed with acquittals on three degree of jurisdiction. Our assistance ranged from overall management of client case, coordinating involvement of other lawyers and actual representation in court in all phases of the process;
- Assistance during the investigation phase on a criminal lawsuit in relation to allegations pertaining to embezzlement, money laundering, establishment of a criminal organized group and market manipulation.
- Assistance during the investigation phase on a lawsuit pertaining to tax fraud and money laundering operations. The assistance entails representation for the two indicted persons during the criminal investigation phase and subsequently during the court phase;
- Assistance in relation to alleged tax evasion case (allegations of tax evasion via registration of transactions considered by the tax authorities as fictitious services)
- Assistance during the investigation phase of a Romanian affiliate of a Greek holding with respect to tax evasion accusations (allegations of tax evasion via registration of marketing services considered by the tax authorities as fictitious services)
- Assistance in a criminal lawsuit with respect to tax evasion and money laundering accusations of the management and the company (the Romanian affiliate of a Belgian corporation) (allegations of tax evasion via registration of management services considered by the tax authorities as fictitious services)
Other white collar crime cases (preventive measures outside court cases):
- Investigation in relation to suspicions of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations
- Analysis for an investment firm of several operations related to potential tax fraud and money laundering operations.
- Analysis for a Romanian company of several operations considered as transactions suspicious of money laundering operations;
- Analysis and investigation for a Romanian company in relation to several operations suspected as tax evasion (VAT carousel fraud)
- Investigation related to a overbilling scheme performed by a supplier of a multinational company
- Assistance of a large European Bank in defending its position vis a vis the Romanian Financial Services Regulator in relation to suspicious transactions (i.e., market manipulation).
- Fraud and corruption risk assessments for both public and private entities
- Investigation related to transactions suspicious of money laundering for an investment company.